I have more cookies for you today!
They are worth every second of effort. They’re crazy indulgent and ridiculously scrumptious. On the brownie scale of super dense and fudgey through to cakey, this cookie lies somewhere in between. The inside is soft and moist and every so slightly chewy. And it’s really, really chocolatey.
AND I’ve filled them with salted caramel buttercream for you too.
So put the brownie cookie and caramel buttercream together and you have perfection in a cookie.
They are so tasty I could have eaten them just on their own.
Wait… I did do that.
I had to stop myself so that I had enough cookies left to take pictures of them doubled up for sweet little sandwiches.
Also as a random side note, I just wanted to say that I’m sorry.
Because I really have been meaning to share these cookies with you. For. Ages.
Waaaay over a month ago.
But life just got in the way with job applications, interviews, assessment days and the like.
But finally, here you have them. I love this recipe and I hope you do too!
The cookies you can see in the photos really are giant – they’re larger than the palm of my hand. It wasn’t 100% intentional, they spread out a lot in the oven and then by the time I added the icing and sandwiched them together they were suddenly enormous !
Though having said that, my irrational logic told me that there’d be less guilt consuming one huge cookie than two normal sized cookies…
But if you are a normal person or just have more self restraint than I do, by all means make normal sized cookies.
For the cookies
90g Plain Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
230g Dark Chocolate, chopped into small pieces
60g Unsalted Butter
150g Light Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
130g Milk Chocolate, Chopped into large chunks (optional)
For the filling
250g salted butter
450g icing sugar
1 tsp salted caramel essence OR 2 tbsp salted caramel sauce
80g chocolate (melted)
Chocolate bar of choice – chopped into small chunks
- Pre-heat the oven to 175oC
- In a bowl measure out the flour, baking powder and salt, and set to one side for now.
- In a large bowl melt the chocolate and butter over a pan of gently simmering water until everything has melted. Then remove from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the sugar, vanilla and eggs until the mixture it light and fluffy, before adding the chocolate mixture and lightly beating together until fully combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and using a wooden spoon gently fold the two together until just combined.
- Add the milk chocolate chunks to the dough and very gently fold them until they are distributed.
- This is a really soft dough so don’t try to roll the cookies into balls, just using a spoon dollop some mixture on the baking tray, making sure you leave plenty of room for spreading during baking.
- Bake for approx 13-15 minutes before removing.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the tray for approx 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely
- Chop the butter into chunks and soften in the microwave for 20-30s, it shouldn’t be completely melted !
- Put the butter, salted caramel essence or sauce and 1/2 of the icing sugar (sifted) into a mixing bowl and combine using an electric hand whisk.
- Gradually add the remaining icing sugar, whisking after each addition. You may not need to add all of the icing sugar, as long as the icing tastes sweet enough!
- Pipe the caramel icing onto half of the brownie cookies, making sure to turn them over so that the top of the cookies forms the outside of the cookie sandwich.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the icing and finish with chunks of chopped up chocolate !
- Finally, sandwich the cookies together with the remaining cookies, (take suitable picture for Instagram) and enjoy!
Happy Baking x